For Canvasser's Only
Welcome to the United Way of Sarnia-Lambton On-line Canvasser Training Program
Please accept our sincere thank you for agreeing to be a United Way Canvasser.
As a United Way Canvasser, you have the most important job within the United Way Movement! Without you, the Canvasser, there is no United Way, and no funding of community services.
Your Commitment and Success is so important to the United Way that we have provided this On-line Training Program, complete with direct E-mail addresses to enable you to ask us any questions you need answers for. We are here to support you in your canvass success.
Five steps to a successful canvass
- Review your Canvasser Kit
Become familiar with the Funded Agencies, the programs of United Way and the three Community Impact Areas; and the people you have been asked to canvass. Review the Canvasser Tips, immediately following these five steps.
- Make your Donation First
You will find it is much easier to canvass people when you have already given yourself.
- See every person personally - Most Important
Every research study proves that people are much more likely to give when asked personally compared to a phone call, or leaving the pledge card and brochure in a mail slot or on a desk. Take the time to ask in person.
NOTE: e-mail is great for follow-up, but not as part of the ASK.
- Say Thanks!
Make certain to say thanks. People like to be appreciated.
- Start Early, Report Early
A short campaign is a good campaign. Don’t wait until all your prospects have been canvassed before reporting your results. If possible, hand in your returns weekly. Seeing your progress is encouraging and can be used as a tool to solicit donations.
- Be a good listener; perhaps a prospective donor has a question, or a misunderstanding about the United Way, or a Funded Agency.
- If possible, visit a United Way Funded Agency or two - see first hand your donations at work in our community.
- Choose a time of the day, or shift, that you believe will be convenient to personally visit your prospects.
- Payroll Deduction is the easiest way to support the United Way. A few dollars per pay go a long way!
- Donors can donate in a variety of ways: payroll deduction, cash, cheque, post dated cheques, Electronic Funds Transfer through their bank; even Master Card, or VISA, And Direct Debit can be arranged.
Canvasser Tools/Materials That Are Available
The United Way of Sarnia-Lambton can offer you and your Employee Campaign committee a variety of United Way, and Campaign materials such as:
- Four minute campaign video - United Way of Sarnia-Lambton. This video is educational and motivational - sponsored and produced this year by Lambton College.
- A Loaned Representative to show the video, answer questions, and provide overall support to help you.
- A Special Events kit giving you planning ideas for various special events to make the campaign fun at your workplace.
- Campaign Thermometers are available in three sizes to track your campaign achievement and help to communicate to your co-workers how the campaign is doing.
- PUSH and PULL stickers for doors
- Campaign Success Clinics, tailored for your workplace to help promote easy and effective canvassing.
- Campaign Posters
- Brochures, Pledge Cards, Canvasser Envelopes, etc.
- Volunteer support; call us any time.
- Funded Agency Presentations
The bottom line..............
Be yourself, be honest, ask each person on your list in person, and if you need anything, give us a call! Telephone: 336-5452
Thank you again for agreeing to be a United Way Canvasser!